Breaking Down Barriers to Learning
NSBA’s Magna Awards program has a long history of recognizing school district innovation and creativity in helping increase student achievement.
The 2020 awards program will focus on equity in education. It will recognize district programs that remove barriers to achievement for vulnerable or underserved children.
A grand prize and five winners will be awarded in each enrollment category: under 5,000 enrollment; 5,000-20,000 enrollment; and over 20,000 enrollment.
Three grand prize winners will showcase their winning programs at a special Master Class session during NSBA’s 2020 annual conference, April 4 to 6, in Chicago. All winning districts will be featured in the April issue of American School Board Journal.
For the 2020 awards, the judges will look for programs that:
- Remove barriers to achievement for vulnerable or underserved children, based on race, ethnicity, gender, special needs, geography, or socioeconomic status.
- Support their school board’s equity mission and vision for the district
- Exhibit success over time
- Has longevity and sustainability
- Can be replicated by other school districts with similar conditions and resources.