To feature your school law job, submit your posting to COSA_registration@nsba.org.
Jump to a state to see jobs that are available:
There are no current job openings for Alabama. Please check back soon or contact Jayne Harrell Williams at the Alabama Association of School Boards.
There are no current job openings for Alaska. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for Arizona. Please check back soon or contact Gina Moss at the Arizona School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Arkansas. Please check back soon or contact Kathy Ivy at the Arkansas School Boards Association.
Education Law Associates| Carlsbad & Los Angeles, CA | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Adams Silva & McNally LLP (ASM) is a growing and busy education law firm that seeks two motivated and qualified, education law attorneys for its Carlsbad and Los Angeles offices. ASM exclusively represents California public school districts, providing general counsel and advice to governing boards, Superintendents and school district administrators. ASM prides itself on providing the highest quality legal services while providing career opportunities that are rewarding and challenging. The positions will work on a variety of matters including constitutional issues, labor and employment, student, special education and facilities and business issues.
- One associate with 1-4 years’ experience for an immediate opening. The candidate must have excellent research and writing skills and be team oriented.
- One experienced education law attorney with 4-6 years’ experience representing school districts. The ideal candidate will have experience in labor and employment, governance, and student matters.
Please submit resume and writing sample, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Counsel for Poudre School District | Fort Collins, CO | Application Deadline: September 30, 2019
Provides in-house legal services to the Superintendent, Cabinet, and District Administrators. Represents the District in court hearings and administrative proceedings and provides day to day advice and counsel to central and site administration on a variety of legal matters, including Constitutional law, special education law, and employment law. Coordinates the development and revision of Superintendent and Board of Education policies. Coordinates all legal services required by the District.
Education and Related Work Experiences:
- Juris Doctorate degree.
- Minimum of five years of experience, preferably in Colorado K-12 school law and/or working in a law firm representing school district clients.
Licenses, Registrations or Certifications
- Valid Colorado license to practice law.
To apply, visit the Poudre School District’s Career Page at psdschools.org/careers.
Deputy General Counsel for Douglas County School District | Castle Rock, CO | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Supports the Chief Legal Counsel in his/her responsibilities to the Superintendent and the Board of Education as well as other District stakeholders on legal issues affecting the District. Provides legal advice and counsel to the School District’s Administration on a variety of legal topics impacting public schools with a particular emphasis on providing advice and counsel regarding personnel matters, including application of federal and state laws to the District’s work force and supporting the investigation of personnel matters. Provides training on legal issues which impact the District, and training applicable to reduction of legal risk to the District, particularly training on compliance with federal and state EEO laws, including compliance with Title IX, Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, and ADA; supports and/or represents the District and/or the Administration in administrative hearings and proceedings; reviews and develops policies and procedures as well as employee handbooks. Investigate and/or support the internal investigation of employee matters to provide legal advice to District’s Administration. Oversees and supports the work of Risk Management as related to personnel matters and oversees and supports the work of the District’s Records Assistant with CORA and subpoena responses.
- Licensed active attorney in Colorado.
- Juris Doctorate Degree.
$105,000 - $127,500
To apply, visit the Douglas County School District job portal.
Associate Attorney | Longmont, CO | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Longmont, Colorado office of Lyons Gaddis has an opening for an experienced school district and public sector attorney, with an emphasis on Special Education.
Lyons Gaddis has served the needs of Colorado clients for over 45 years. We have a team-oriented culture with an unrelenting commitment to be the best at what we do. If you are interested in joining our team and your background aligns with our needs for this position, please reply with a letter of introduction, as well as a resume and a writing sample to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Five years of experience in handling special education matters, as well as representing school districts and other public sector organizations.
- Passion for providing exceptional client service.
- Live in Northern Colorado or be willing to relocate.
There are no current job openings for Connecticut. Please check back soon or contact Gail Heath at the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education.
There are no current job openings for Delaware. Please check back soon or contact John Marinucci at the Delaware School Boards Association.
Board Attorney | Fort Myers, Fla. | Application Deadline: Dec. 20
As the board attorney, you will serve the educational needs of students in a legally compliant manner and function as counsel to the school board. Your leadership will provide ancillary support to the superintendent and district staff, especially in the area of education law.
- Serve as a school board advocate to support the legislative platform, board goals, initiatives, and other matters determined by the board.
- Prepare and render legal opinions and give advice to the board, as well as provide legal opinions and advice to the superintendent and other district administrators when needed.
- Recommend outside counsel for the school board’s approval and handle the coordination of outside counsel regarding issues involving the school board, including all litigation matters involving civil matters, federal and state issues, and constitutional issues.
- Serve as parliamentarian at school board meetings and staff meetings.
- Coordinate district administration inservice training on legal matters which pertain to the overall administration of the school system.
- Assume responsibility for drafting and/or reviewing School Board policies and resolutions; keep the school board and superintendent informed of changes in statutes and relative court decisions as each would impact the policies of the district.
- Prepare or approve as to form all contracts entered into on behalf of the school board and/or district for contracts that are presented by a staff attorney; maintain final responsibility and control for all matters under the auspices of the school board.
- Prepare or approve as to content and form all contracts entered into on behalf of the school board and/or district for contracts that are not presented by a staff attorney.
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the Florida Bar for at least five (5) years
- Admitted to State and Federal Courts in Florida
- Certification in Education Law or eligible for certification
All candidates interested in being considered for an interview must submit an online application with the district by visiting apply.leeschools.net. The job posting is 20193497. To view the board approved job description, please visit https://www.leeschools.net/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=24071233
There are no current job openings for Georgia. Please check back soon or contact Kari Lewallen at the Georgia School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Hawaii. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for Idaho. Please check back soon.
Education/Labor & Employment Attorney | Berwyn, IL | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Established law firm that concentrates in the representation of units of government, including elementary schools, high schools, and community colleges.
The firm is seeking an attorney with a high level of understanding and 2-5 years of experience in education law and/or labor & employment law. This position requires the attorney to provide legal services and counseling on various education and employment issues to municipalities and Boards of Education. The ideal candidate for employment should have experience in most of the following areas:
The ideal candidate should have experience in most of the following areas:
- Collective bargaining agreement negotiations, interpretations and grievances;
- Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board and National Labor Relations Board issues regarding unfair labor practices as well as unit certification issues;
- Administrative litigation matters (i.e. IDHR, EEOC, etc.);
- Tenured teacher and employee dismissal hearings and procedures;
- Student disciplinary, records, residency, and special education issues;
- Transactional work regarding vendor contract review and competitive bidding issues;
- Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act compliance issues;
- Policies review; and
- Drafting, reviewing, and revising legal documents such as legal opinions and ordinances/resolutions.
The firm offers competitive salary and benefits, including healthcare and 401(k). If you are interested in working in a collaborative, collegial environment, please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample to Sylvia Valdez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no current job openings for Indiana. Please check back soon or contact Lisa Tanselle at the Indiana School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Iowa. Please check back soon or contact Marte Brightman at the Iowa Association of School Boards.
There are no current job openings for Kansas. Please check back soon or contact Leslie Garner at the Kansas Association of School Boards.
There are no current job openings for Kentucky. Please check back soon or contact Alicia Lombardi at the Kentucky School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Louisiana. Please check back soon or contact Robert L. Hammonds at Hammonds & Sills.
There are no current job openings for Maine. Please check back soon or contact Angie Audette at the Maine School Boards Association.
Associate Counsel for Labor & Employment | Baltimore City, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Associate Counsel for Labor & Employment for Baltimore City Public Schools will be responsible for handling matters related to employment and labor grievances and appeals including the preparation and presentation of cases before hearing officers, arbitration panels, administrative agencies, State and Federal Courts. Responsibilities may include participation in labor negotiations, providing counsel to administrative staff, policy formulation, litigation of various legal matters and providing training on School Law issues.
- Prepare for and defend City Schools in complex suits that are brought against it in State and Federal Courts.
- Represent City Schools in administrative proceedings.
- Perform legal research and render legal opinions on difficult questions that are raised, in particular issues involving current or potential litigation exposure.
- Provide legal advice and strategy respective of collective bargaining agreements.
- Advise staff on pay for performance models and issues.
- Familiarity with Federal, State, and City statutes and regulations including Title IX, Title VII, ADA, FLSA, ADEA and FMLA.
- Five years of legal experience including considerable direct experience in labor and employment law.
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
Associate Counsel for Litigation | Baltimore City, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Associate Counsel for Litigation will be responsible for preparing and trying complex court cases for Baltimore City Public Schools in state, federal and appellate courts. The Associate Counsel will work closely with internal departments and officers as well as external counsel, as appropriate, regarding litigation matters.
- Prepares for and defends City Schools in complex suits that are brought in State and Federal Courts.Represents City Schools at court hearings and administrative proceedings.
- Performs legal research and renders legal opinions on difficult questions that are raised, in particular issues involving current or potential litigation exposure.
- Prepares and files briefs for cases before the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court of Appeals and Maryland Court of Appeals.
- Five years of litigation experience.
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
Staff Attorney, Special Education | Baltimore County, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Under general supervision, the staff attorney represents Baltimore County Public Schools in matters regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, mediations, resolution conferences, and due process appeals. Staff attorney provides a variety of professional legal services as directed by the Deputy General Counsel and General Counsel.
- Represents Baltimore County Public Schools in special education mediations and due process hearings. Prepares school staff to participate in mediations and hearings.
- Evaluates cases and negotiates settlement agreements, requests for attorneys’ fees, expert fees, and reimbursements for independent evaluations. Attends IEP team meetings to support the team in decision-making.
- Reviews statutory amendments and regulations, judicial decisions, and federal agency decisions. Keeps current with pertinent legislation, regulations, and case law involving students with disabilities. Provides clarification and procedural updates for special education staff and school administrators.
- Coordinates and conducts in-service training related to procedural safeguards and team processes. Serves as a consultant to schools to ensure compliance with laws and regulations regarding students with disabilities and their parents. Assists teachers and administrators in responding to student and parental concerns.
- Responds to complaints regarding special education and student related Section 504 issues. Conducts legal research on issues raised in complaints, formulates legal opinions and provides advice.
- Represents the Superintendent in administrative hearings, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris doctorate degree from an accredited school of law.
- Member of the Maryland State Bar required.
- Two years of professional experience in the practice of law which includes experience with legal issues involving students with disabilities.
- Demonstrated experience with litigation, negotiation, mediation and administrative hearings.
For more information on requirements and to apply for this position, visit the Baltimore County's job portal.
There are no current job openings for Massachusetts Please check back soon or contact Carol Grazio at the Massachusetts Assoc. of School Committees, Inc.
There are no current job openings for Michigan. Please check back soon or contact Brad Banasik at the Michigan Association of School Boards.
There are no current job openings for Minnesota. Please check back soon or contact the Minnesota School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Mississippi. Please check back soon or contact Stephanie Wells at the Mississippi School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Missouri. Please check back soon or contact Scott Summers at the Missouri School Boards Association.
Staff Attorney | Helena, Mont. | Application Deadline: Until Filled, initial review begins September 16
The Montana School Boards Association is seeking a full-time attorney to join a vibrant and successful legal department in providing a full range of legal and related services on behalf of the elected school boards of Montana’s K-12 public schools. The position is headquartered in Helena, Montana and also includes regular travel to school districts throughout the state of Montana. Areas of practice will include, but will not be limited to litigation, administrative law, labor law, property law, contracts, tort claims & insurance defense, and constitutional law. MTSBA offers opportunities for career advancement, compensation on par with private firms, a generous benefits package and a flexible working environment.
- Strong work ethic, excellent research, writing, litigation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively with fellow attorneys and other professional staff in a dynamic, fast-paced setting.
- A background in public education or public sector work is preferred but not required.
This position will remain open until filled but initial review of applications will begin September 16. Apply by email with a letter of interest and resume sent to Debra Silk, Associate Executive Director, at email@example.com.
There are no current job openings for Nebraska. Please check back soon or contact Vicki Winters at the Nebraska Association of School Boards.
There are no current job openings for Nevada. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for Montana. Please check back soon or contact Amanda Hodgman at the New Hampshire School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for New Jersey. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for New Mexico. Please check back soon or contact Gina Moss at the New Mexico School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for New York. Please check back soon or contact Gregory J. Guercio at the New York State School Attorneys Association.
Associate Attorney | Asheville, NC | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Campbell Shatley, PLLC., located in Asheville, N.C., seeks a full-time associate attorney to join its practice focused primarily on public entities, including school boards and community colleges. Campbell Shatley uses a team approach to service the extensive legal needs of its clients in a small firm environment. Compensation package includes bonuses, profit sharing, health insurance, disability insurance and life insurance.
- North Carolina licensed attorney.
- 2-5 years' experience.
- Experience in special education litigation is highly preferred.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no current job openings for North Dakota. Please check back soon or contact Linnae Brew at the North Dakota School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for Ohio. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for Oklahoma. Please check back soon or contact Andy Fugitt at the Oklahoma School Board Attorneys Association Inc.
There are no current job openings for Oregon. Please check back soon or contact Maricela Highsmith at the Oregon School Boards Association.
Staff Attorney | Mechanicsburg, PA| Application Deadline: Until Filled
PSBA is seeking a staff attorney to provide advice, analysis, consultation, training and educational information to public school leaders on a wide variety of legal focus areas impacting public school system and non-profit corporation governance, including constitutional law, administrative law, employment law, labor relations, governmental financial administration, state and federal civil rights law, student and employee constitutional rights, disability law, public agency procurement, municipal taxation, government transparency, liability risk management and legislative analysis. Advocacy work includes involvement in legislative matters as well as practice before state and federal appellate courts.
- Licensed attorney admitted in PA (or can become admitted within 6 months)
- Minimum three years’ experience in law practice substantially focused on education law or related legal areas listed above.
There are no current job openings for Rhode Island. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for South Carolina. Please check back soon or contact Dr. Tiffany Ricardson at the South Carolina School Boards Association.
There are no current job openings for South Dakota. Please check back soon or contact Deanne Arbach at the Associated School Boards of South Dakota.
Staff Attorney | Nashville, TN | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Tennessee State Board of Education is seeking a full-time staff attorney to assist with the educator licensure discipline process for the Tennessee State Board of Education. This position will report to the General Counsel of the State Board, work closely with the Assistant General Counsel for Educator Discipline and other staff members supporting the educator licensure discipline work, and will be responsible for providing support as needed with the Board’s legal work.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to communicate effectively, multitask, work with a variety of education stakeholders, and manage a diverse caseload. The person in this position has an important opportunity to ensure the state continues to uphold a high bar for educator licensure and further the Board’s efforts to ensure that all students have access to great teachers and leaders.
The staff attorney is responsible for the following:
- Managing teacher licensing misconduct cases, including opening new licensure cases, investigating case files, and interacting with a variety of stakeholders including school district representatives, teachers and their counsel, witnesses, and others
- Preparation of licensure action recommendations and presentation of cases before the board’s internal staff case review committee
- Docketing cases with the Administrative Procedures Division and representing the Board at administrative hearings and mediations
- Drafting motions, orders, and other filings
- Presenting and explaining licensure recommendations to the Board at quarterly meetings
- Responding to requests from school districts and educators regarding licensure status
- Conducting legal research and writing on a variety of topics, including recommending any changes to the case management process
- Providing legal advice to the Board and Board staff as requested
- Preparing presentations to school districts and other interested stakeholder organizations regarding the State Board’s process for handling licensure cases
- Responding to inquiries regarding licensure decisions
- Other special projects as may be assigned
Seeking candidates who have:
- Juris Doctorate, current Tennessee law license
- 1-5 years experience as a licensed attorney
- Strong legal research and writing skills as well as excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Litigation/ case management experience, or other demonstrated project-management experience
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting expectations at a high bar and history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Strong personal presence and communication skills necessary to interact and develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing multiple projects or cases and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with a high volume workload
- Knowledge of education law/policy, administrative procedure, or prior experience with board relations (preferred)
Please send a cover letter and resume to Brittani Kendrick, Assistant General Counsel for Educator Discipline, at Brittani.C.Kendrick@tn.gov.
Attorney | San Antonio | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Walsh Gallegos Treviño Russo & Kyle PC is a law firm devoted to serving public education. The firm has been working in partnership with leaders in public education since 1983 and strives to make a difference in the board room, the courtroom and, most importantly, the classroom.
The San Antonio office is currently seeking an attorney licensed in Texas 5-7 years to represent public school districts in connection with construction contracting, real estate transactions and development, public procurement, and various other contract transactions.
- Strong research and writing skills, as well as attention to detail are required.
- Background or prior experience in construction contracting, representation of architecture or engineering firms, or other construction industry participants, and/or experience with public bond transactions are desired.
- Public speaking experience and strong interpersonal skills are also preferred.
Please send resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Because we sometimes have openings in multiple offices, please indicate the city in the subject line of your email.
There are no current job openings for Utah. Please check back soon.
There are no current job openings for Vermont. Please check back soon.
School Board Attorney (#IRC 117032) | Richmond, Virginia | Application Deadline: Dec. 16, 2019
The Henrico County Attorney’s Office is seeking to hire a full-time attorney with a strong academic background, excellent research and writing skills, and litigation experience to handle employment law and other legal matters for the School Board and School Administration. The successful applicant will work with two other attorneys in the School Board’s offices as well as other attorneys in the County Attorney’s Office. Because the School Board operates 72 schools with over 50,000 students, the position offers a challenging, fast-paced and varied practice, including litigation and administrative agency representation, a wide range of legal issues, and work with highly educated clients.
The position requires extensive knowledge of and experience in all aspects of employment law; knowledge of constitutional law, civil rights law, and education law; excellent advocacy, legal research and writing skills; ability to organize, interpret and apply legal principles and knowledge to complex legal problems; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, public officials and the general public; and good professional judgment. Experience in employment law matters, litigation, government service, and education law is highly preferred. The successful applicant must have a Juris Doctor degree and be a member of the Virginia State Bar. At least five years of experience in the practice of law is highly preferred. This position may be filled at the Assistant County Attorney II, III or Senior level depending on the qualifications of the successful candidate and the needs of the department at the time of hire. Salary will be commensurate with experience. The position will be located at the Eastern Government Center on Nine Mile Road.
Deadline for completion of an online Henrico County application form is December 16, 2019.Applications accepted only online at https://henrico.us/services/jobs/. EOE.
For additional job openings for Virginia please contact Dorothy Vidano at the Virginia School Boards Association.
Public Sector/School Law Associate | Seattle | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Preg O'Donnell & Gillett, a regional, full-service litigation and business firm, is seeking a public sector/school law associate. The firm’s public sector school law practice handles a wide range of school law related matters, including employment discrimination, student athletics, wrongful death, sexual grooming and abuse, harassment, negligent hiring, supervision, and training, civil rights and Section 1983 claims, and the Public Records Act claims.
Preg O’Donnell & Gillett offers competitive salary/benefits and a positive atmosphere with an emphasis on work/life balance.
- Washington State Bar membership, or acquisition of the same.
- Solid drafting, writing, and researching skills.
- Excellent client relationship and interpersonal skills.
- A background in school law or public sector work (preferred).
Please send a pdf containing your resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would also appreciate you specifying how you heard about this position. All replies confidential.
There are no current job openings for West Virginia. Please check back soon or contact Howard Seufer at the West Virginia Council of School Attorneys.
Associate Attorney | Madison, Green Bay and Oshkosh, WI | Application Deadline: December 8
Strang, Patteson, Renning, Lewis, & Lacy, s.c., a law firm focusing on the representation of Wisconsin’s public school districts and higher education institutions, as well as other public entities and private businesses, in all areas of their operations, including labor and employment matters, is looking to fill an associate attorney position. The position could be based out of any of the firm’s offices (Madison, Green Bay or Oshkosh), but the successful candidate would be expected to serve clients from across the State. The firm offers a competitive salary and benefit package and an excellent opportunity for professional growth.
- Licensed attorney in good standing in Wisconsin
- Strong academic credentials
- Superior research and writing skills
- Passion for public education.
For immediate consideration, please submit a cover letter, resumé, salary expectations and a writing sample to email@example.com.
There are no current job openings for Wyoming. Please check back soon.